Replace “AI” with “Automation”
I think that discussions of this technology become much clearer when we replace the term AI with the word “automation”. Then we can ask:
- What is being automated?
- Who’s automating it and why?
- Who benefits from that automation?
- How well does the automation work in its use case that we’re considering?
- Who’s being harmed?
- Who has accountability for the functioning of the automated system
- What existing regulations already apply to the activities where the automation is being used?